An armpit pimple, zit and red infected bumps can be painful when they occur. Underarm acne can appear in your armpit for a number of reasons. You can develop red bumps in the armpit due to allergic reactions or skin irritation.
There are also some skin care products such as deodorants and antiperspirants that can trigger the formation of a painful pimple under the armpit. The article provides detail information on the causes and the various ways of treatment.
Can You Get Pimples in Your Armpit?
Yes. A pimple under armpit could be due to improper shaving technique, ingrown armpit hair, clogged skin pores, bacterial infection and excess sweat.
Armpit acne can also be caused by an allergic reaction as well as skin irritation. Some deodorants and antiperspirants, clothing, or laundry powder contain ingredients that irritate the delicate skin in your underarm. This may lead to the formation of red bumps under the armpit.
Armpit Pimple Causes
Some of the reasons why you have a cyst, zits, and pimples in your armpit include:
- Ingrown Hairs
Improper shaving technique of the underarm hair can result in the formation of ingrown hairs that may turn into bump under the armpit. This may trigger also the formation of one or more pimples in the armpit.
According to reports from doctors of Mayo Clinic, ingrown hairs are known to cause the formation of a tiny painful bump on armpit, inflammation and sore armpits. These ingrown hairs are sometimes known as razor bumps.
- Inflamed hair follicles
Inflammation of hair follicles can lead to the formation of cystic acne underarms that are red and sore. According to a report from Dr. Amanda Oakley a dermatologist in Cleveland Clinic, skin folliculitis is the likely cause of the underarm breakout.
Inflamed hair follicles can also be due to bacterial, fungal, or viral infections of the skin. Consult your dermatologist for treatment or you can opt for pimple cream over the counter.
- Armpit Abscess (Boils)
The presence of a boil in your armpit can result in a hard painful lump in the armpit that is filled with pus. According to recent medical research by Dr. John P. Cunha on eMedicineHealth, an abscess is commonly known to affect the armpit.
You will notice the appearance of a whitehead in the center of the swollen lump in your armpit. If the lump is not treated properly or remain untreated, it could result in a deep underarm cyst that can get into the bloodstream.
- Bacterial Infection
Bacterial infection has become a common phenomenon and can result in a number of skin issues. This is according to the medical research done by Dr. Carol DerSarkissian on WebMD.
You will notice the appearance of armpit rashes, armpit cyst, boils and abscesses which are due to underarm bacterial infections.
An allergic reaction to your armpit can lead to the formation of a small or a large pimple under the armpit that itch and red in color.
According to medical research survey by a group of a dermatologist from the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, red lump under armpit or welts on the skin are a common symptom of an allergy.
Some of the common sources of allergy are deodorant or item of clothing causing the allergic bumpy rash on your underarm. Try to avoid or stay away from the allergens in order to avoid the formation of pimples or red rashes in your armpits.
- Hidradenitis suppurativa
This condition could result in both a big pimple in the armpit and also painful pimple in the armpit. According to a report by the American Academy of Dermatology, hidradenitis suppurativa is the likely cause of pimples in the armpits that can become acne-like cysts and blackheads.
Is it possible to have a pimple under armpit cancer? This is rare but in case it occurs, it may result in the enlargement of a lymph node that is a common symptom of cancer.
Breast cancer is one of the types of cancer where the armpit lymph nodes become enlarged but other cancers may also be responsible.
Armpit Pimple Pictures
The article contains some images that help to bring out some symptoms shown by the various causes of pimples under the armpit. The pictures can also vividly describe how a painful lump under armpit looks like and also how to treat pimples.
It is advisable to visit your doctor in case you have an armpit pimple won’t pop. The pictures will also help the dermatologist to find some ways on how to get rid of a pimple under the armpit.
Home Remedies for Armpit Pimples
Ever had a lump in the armpit with the black head? Here are some of the natural remedies that can help to get rid of the painful lump in armpit female or male. They include:
It has antioxidants that can help to boost the health of your skin. It also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory which help in cleansing in the skin that is prone to pimples and zits.
How to use
- Place a green tea bag in a cup of boiling water and cover for 10 minutes.
- Dip a cotton ball in the green tea and squeeze the excess liquid.
- Cleanse your armpit with the green tea liquid to remove germs and old sweat.
- Hold the green tea compress for 10 minutes on the enlarged armpit pimple to help reduce inflammation and accelerate healing.
It helps to increase circulation to the infected area and speeds up healing. It also helps to bring down the armpit boil and drain it.
How to use
- Mix 1/4 cup Epsom salt with 3/4 cup hot water and stir until the salt is dissolved.
- Dip a clean washcloth in the remedy and squeeze out the excess water.
- Put the warm compress on your armpit and leave for 30 minutes.
- Dip the washcloth in the warm water every so often to keep the compress warm.
- Apply the warm compress 2-3 times a day and continue applying until a large pimple or boil has gone completely.
Aloe vera gel
It helps to get rid of underarm irritation as well as armpit zit pop and large pimples in your armpits. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.
How to use
- Use good quality aloe vera gel and apply a little to the armpit pimples.
- Gently massage the aloe vera remedy until it is all absorbed into the skin.
- Use 3 times a day to get rid of underarm skin irritation and pimple-like bumps.
Apple cider vinegar
It has an antimicrobial property that helps to get rid of many strains of bacteria, including those that are resistant to antibiotics.
How to use
- Dilute raw apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply to the inflamed pimple or boil in your armpit.
- Hold for few minutes to reduce the size and irritation of a pimple.
- Remove the cotton ball and allow drying.
- Rinse your armpit with clean water.
It has a high level of antibacterial properties that help to kill off some strains of bacteria. It can also be used to prevent ingrown hairs and unclogged skin pores from dirt and germs.
How to use
- Mix some water with a tablespoon baking soda to form a thick paste.
- Dampen your armpit with some warm water.
- Massage the baking soda paste to your armpit to help unblock your pores and lift any ingrown hairs.
- Leave the baking soda paste for 10 minutes to help treat a pimple like bumps.
- Rinse with warm water and apply a little coconut oil to moisturize your skin.
Armpit Pimple Treatment
There are numerous methods on how to treat a temporal skin condition that is characterized by bumps or underarm rashes. It is recommended to understand the root cause of the armpit pimples before trying any of the methods.
This type of treatment help in managing itching that is accompanied by the formation of an underarm zit. It is advisable to check with your dermatologist since there are specific pimple remover brands in your nearest drugstore.
This is a pimple treatment medicine especially those that cause irritation on the skin. It is recommended to go for prescription in order to avoid some of the side effects associated with it.
This is the most effect underarm bumps treatment. It helps to get rid of bacterial infection leading to small bump under the armpit. Treatments for bacterial skin diseases are usually on a short-term basis.
Armpit cyst pop
This will help in the drainage of bumps under the armpit that are cystic. This procedure should be carried out and done by a nurse or qualified doctor.
Armpit Pimple Prevention
Apart from the use of home remedies and treatments, the following are some of the general tips or ways how to avoid pimples appearance of pimples in the underarms. They include:
- Use anti-chafing powders
- Stop using deodorants, antiperspirants, fragrances, body creams or lotions until all pimples or rashes disappear
- Applying cornstarch layer can help dry out the rash
- Wear loose clothing made from natural fibers or cotton material
- Keep proper personal hygiene by cleaning the armpits thoroughly
When to See a Doctor
In case of temporal skin conditions, you can opt to treat a painful lump in armpit using natural remedies and topical medicines. However, there are instances you will be required to visit your doctor especially when you have a pimple under armpit cancer or just a huge pimple under the armpit that has pus.
For instance, Dr. Melissa Conrad Stöppler on MedicineNet recommend visiting a healthcare professional in case you have boils that are supposed to be lanced and drained. This is to prevent the bacteria infecting the bloodstream and causing complications.
FURTHER REFERENCES AND SOURCES
- HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF UNDERARM PIMPLES: https://www.morphemeremedies.com/10-remedies-to-get-rid-of-underarm-pimples/
- How to Get Rid of Armpit Pimples, Zits, or Pimple Like Bumps: https://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/armpit-pimples/
- What is an armpit lump? https://www.healthline.com/health/armpit-lump
- How to Get Rid of a Zit on Your Armpit: https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-a-Zit-on-Your-Armpit
- What Are the Pimple-Like Things Under the Arm? https://www.livestrong.com/article/326460-what-are-the-pimple-like-things-under-the-arm/