Clear diarrhea happens to many people regardless of their age and race. Generally, diarrhea is marked by the passing of loose or watery stool that is accompanied by abdominal pain and cramping.
According to the medical report published in April 2014 in the New England Journal of Medicine, about 179 million cases of clear diarrhea and acute diarrhea happen each year in the United States.
Fortunately, diarrhea clears up on its own without any form of treatment after a few days. However, acute diarrhea may last for some days or weeks and this may imply a serious health problem that requires immediate medical attention.
In this post, you will discover some of the major causes, symptoms, meaning and home remedies that can help to get rid of clear diarrhea as well as explosive diarrhea instantly.
What Does Clear Diarrhea Mean
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), it is defined as diarrhea that causes three or more loose stools per day. According to medical surveys by W.H.O, the majority of adults in the USA suffer from diarrhea and more than 250,000 get hospitalized.
On the other hand, diarrhea illness is considered the second leading to death among children under the age of 5 years. It is therefore recommended to take your child for medical treatment immediately.
According to doctors on WebMD, chronic diarrhea is considered to last longer than one month while acute diarrhea may last up to 14 days. Watery diarrhea occurs due to the inflammation of the stomach or intestines leading to the formation of stool that is more liquid in consistency and without blood.
Symptoms of Clear Diarrhea
The watery bowel movements are the common signs of diarrhea. You will also notice pus, blood, or high amounts of fat in the stool sample. The following are some of the symptoms associated with clear diarrhea:
- General weakness
- Painful abdominal cramping
- Clear watery poop in adults
Both adults and children may also experience dehydration during diarrhea. Some of the common symptoms of dehydration due to diarrhea among adults include:
- Slower repositioning of skin after being pinched
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Less urine production
- Lack of energy
- Sunken eyes, cheeks, belly
According to doctors at the baby center, children will experience the following symptoms of dehydration during diarrhea period:
- Dry mouth
- Lack of tears when crying
- Less urine production than usual
It is important to note that diarrhea illness is deadly and this may require immediate medical attention in order to reduce the chance of death among adults as well as children.
What Causes Clear Diarrhea?
Having clear liquid diarrhea or pooping clear water can cause a lot of concern. Therefore, what are the causes of diarrhea that look like water? Some of the major common causes include:
Some of the common viruses that cause diarrhea in the USA are rotavirus, astrovirus, adenovirus, and norovirus or Norwalk virus. According to medical research done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or CDC, diarrhea in children is caused by rotavirus while in adults is the norovirus.
According to doctors on WebMD, diarrheal illness due to norovirus occurs as a result of food poisoning. The illness is mainly marked by fever, clear diarrhea and vomiting. These symptoms show up between 24-72 hours after being exposed to the virus.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the viral infection causing diarrhea spread through contaminated food, water, and surfaces.
Therefore, it is recommended to wash your hands thoroughly with soap before preparing, eating or handling food as well as changing baby diapers. This will help to prevent the spreading of the infection. It is important to note that norovirus is known to be resistant to hand sanitizers and temperatures about 140 degrees.
According to the medical research done by doctors on Cleveland clinic, pooping clear liquid and stomach pain is mainly caused by types of bacteria known as enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli which are then followed by Bacillus cereus and Staphylococcus aureus.
According to the survey done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, traveler diarrhea is a type of diarrheal illness that is common in the United States and other developing countries.
What can stop diarrhea fast? Well, the intake of antibiotics drugs and drinking of clean water to rehydrate the body will help to get rid of diarrhea illness fast. If the symptoms persist, seek immediate medical attention.
According to doctors on WebMD, clear mucus or watery diarrhea that occur due to parasitic diarrheal infections can last for about months or years. Giardia lamblia is a type of parasite that is known to cause diarrhea worldwide.
This parasite causes both acute and chronic diarrhea that is mainly characterized by abdominal pain and poor nutrients absorption leading to malnutrition.
Entamoeba histolytica is another type of parasite that leads to the inflammation that causes ulceration of the intestines as well as watery or clear diarrhea. This type of parasitic condition requires medical treatment.
The conditions or factors that lead to short-term watery diarrhea include:
- Inflammatory conditions
- Food allergies
- Medication side effects
- High alcohol consumption
- High caffeine consumption
Can you get diarrhea from stress? Yes. It is important to understand that emotional upset and anxiety can lead to watery diarrhea.
Further Readings: 1. Black Specks in Stool. 2. Clear Diarrhea Causes and Treatment.
Home Remedies to Treat Clear Diarrhea
There are some instances where your watery diarrhea can clear up without or with simple home remedies. The following are some of the natural home remedies that can help to get rid of watery diarrhea instantly or after overnight.
The ingredients contain antispasmodic properties that can help to get rid of abdominal pains and diarrhea. It may also help to ease inflammation in the intestines. Some of the procedures to follow include:
- Combine and steep a teaspoon each of chamomile flowers and peppermint leaves in a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Stain and drink the tea.
This a natural remedy that contains high pectin count that is used to treat diarrhea. The water-soluble fiber in a banana can help to get rid of bacteria causing diarrhea.
Banana also contains potassium ions that are known to support some vital functions in the body. Therefore, it is advisable to eat ripe banana more often.
Apple cider vinegar
This is an effective home natural treatment since it contains acetic acid that helps to get rid of bacteria causing diarrhea. Prepare the solution by adding a teaspoon of vinegar to a cup of water. Drink this solution one to two times a day until diarrhea stops. You can add honey to bring good taste.
Eating natural and fresh yogurt is recommended since it contains live bacterial cultures, such as lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium. The good culture helps to get rid of the bad culture that is causing diarrhea.
According to the probiotics studies published in 2010 by the American Medical Association, probiotics found in yogurt help to reduce diarrhea caused by antibiotics. Therefore, it is advisable to eat yogurt and banana more often.
It is one of the natural home remedies that can be used to get rid of diarrhea due to food poisoning. According to doctors on WebMD, it can also be used to get rid of abdominal pain and cramping.
How to use it:
- Grate a small piece of ginger.
- Add the grated ginger to a teaspoon of honey. Then, eat the mixture.
- The combination helps release gastric juices and improves the digestive process.
- Do not drink water immediately after eating the mixture.
Alternatively, you can use the following steps to help get rid of watery diarrhea that is accompanied by abdominal pain and cramping.
- Boil a small slice of ginger in water for a few minutes.
- Strain the tea and add some honey before drinking it.
- Powdered ginger can be used instead of the fresh version too.
How to Prevent Diarrhea (Clear Diarrhea)
According to the above causes of watery diarrhea, it is now known that they are caused by infectious agents. Therefore, maintaining good hygiene may help to reduce the chance of getting clear diarrhea.
Some of the common preventive tips include:
- Wash hands with soap and warm water after using the bathroom before handling food
- Sanitize toilet seat and handle
- Avoid sharing eating utensils, flannel, and towels with others
- Washing soiled clothing or bedding separate by removing feces first before washing
- It is safe to return to work or school 48 hours after the last bout of diarrhea.
When to See Your Doctor
There are some diarrheas that clear ups without a form of treatment. It is however recommended to see your doctor when you experience the following symptoms:
- Diarrhea lasting longer than two days in a child
- Signs of dehydration, including excessive thirst, dry mouth, reduced urination, or dizziness
- Blood or pus in your stool, or stool that’s black in color
- A fever of 101.5 °F (38.6 °C) or greater in an adult, or 100.4 °F (38 °C) or higher in a child
- Severe abdominal or rectal pain
- Diarrhea at night
- Causes of Watery Diarrhea: https://www.livestrong.com/article/14482-5-things-you-need-to-know-about-anxiety-and-diarrhea/
- What You Should Know About Explosive Diarrhea: https://www.healthline.com/health/explosive-diarrhea
- Diarrhea: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diarrhea/symptoms-causes/syc-20352241
- Clear the Pool: Diarrhea Outbreaks Can Be Prevented: https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/news/20010524/clear-pool-diarrhea-outbreaks-can-be-prevented#1
- Clear Diarrhea: https://www.dailyhealthcures.com/general-health/clear-diarrhea-causes-treatments/