Eczema in ears is a type of skin condition that affects infants, children, and adults. Ear eczema is quite difficult to deal with. The constant itchiness can result in damaged skin tissues in the ear making it susceptible to an ear infection.
In this post, you will discover some of the possible causes, symptoms, and treatment of ear eczema. You can also explore the images or photos to understand how ear eczema looks like in or outside the ears.
Eczema in Ears Meaning
Ear eczema is a common skin condition that makes the skin around the ear to become itchy and red. According to doctors on WebMD, this type of skin condition on the ears is also termed as atopic dermatitis. It can occur on the earlobes and inside the ear canal.
The underlying cause can also help to identify the type of ear eczema occurring on your ears. The skin condition not only affects the ear canals but also the rest of the body. Sometimes, it is quite difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of the ear eczema.
According to doctors on baby centre, ear eczema on babies usually comes and goes but in the adult, it can become a chronic affair. Therefore, it is important to understand the causes and various ways on how to treat it.
Eczema in Ears Causes
According to doctors on WebMD, development of ear eczema is still unknown but can be triggered by the following factors. These factors include:
This is a condition that usually arises due to contact irritants or something that is allergic to your skin. Some of the common irritants are hair products, earrings, cell phones, headphones, makeup and other personal care products.
This is a type of ear eczema that is quite common among older people. Changes in the weather can result in this type of skin condition. Over-washing, indoor heating, and windy conditions can make the skin condition around the ears worse.
This type of skin condition mainly tends to happen on the scalp since it is oily. However, this type of skin condition can happen on your ears. Most doctors aren’t sure of the exact cause of the skin condition.
These are human itch mite that may result in the formation of rash along and the in the ear that looks like eczema.
- Xerotic (dry skin) eczema
- Nummular eczema
- Lichen simplex chronicus
- Fungal infections
Note: This type of skin condition is caused by the inherited condition and autoimmune problem.
You May Also Like: Eczema on Penis Ingrown Hairs on Shaft Itchy Testicles Rashes on Elbow
Eczema in Ears Symptoms
Eczema inside the ears usually looks so ugly and has an itching sensation. You might also experience dry and scaly skin around the ears. Here are some of the common symptoms of ear eczema:
- Extremely Dry
Eczema on Earlobe
The exact cause of eczema on earlobes is not fully discovered. According to doctors on the mayo clinic, it is said to be triggered by the overactive immune system. This is when the body quickly responds to any irritant that comes into contact with the skin.
According to dermatologists on WebMD, earlobe eczema can also be caused by abnormal respond to proteins by the body. This is when the body immune system fails to distinguish between normal protein and invaders such as bacteria.
You will experience a mild inflammation along the earlobes and it may also be accompanied by constant itching. The following are some of the common triggers of earlobe eczema flare-up:
- Food allergies
- Animal Dander
- Upper respiratory infections
- Synthetic fabrics
- Raised body temperature
- Temperature changes
- The sudden drop in humidity
Eczema in Ears Pictures
Generally, the appearance of ear eczema is irritating and frustrating. This type of skin condition mainly affects parts of the ear such as the pinna and the ear canal. The pictures in the article show some symptoms such as flaking and scaling.
Here are some of the common images or photos that show the location of eczema on ears. They include:
Eczema behind Ears
There is no specific cause of eczema behind ears. However, it is mostly believed to be caused by a genetic disorder or environmental factors. This type of skin condition can occur on any part of the body not only on the ears.
The appearance of eczema behind ears is mainly influenced by genetic factor and family history of eczema. You should note that people with a history of asthma and allergies are susceptible to develop eczema behind ears.
The ability of your skin to lose moisture and natural oil can result in dry skin that may also trigger the appearance of ear eczema. It is advisable to consult your dermatologist about the best medication that can help to control the condition. Untreated ear eczema can result in an ear infection.
Eczema in Ears Treatment
Controlling symptoms of eczema in ears is the most fundamental step to consider. This will relieve the itching and inflammation effect. Here are some of the common home remedies that can be used to combat the symptoms as well as get rid of ear eczema.
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
According to Dr Robert O. Young and Shelley Redford Young, apple cider vinegar helps to change the pH of the ear canal and this inhibits survival of bacteria causing eczema. It is therefore recommended to use a mixture of water and AVC.
How to use it
- Make sure to wash the ears and pat to dry
- Mix equal amount of apple cider vinegar and water
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution
- Rub the cotton ball on the affected area
- Allow the solution to stay in the area for some minutes
This is a plant that is known to treat various skin conditions including eczema on the ears. It is said to be rich in vitamin C and also has a moisturizing effect. These features help to prevent the ears from drying and scaling. It also soothes itching and inflammation effect.
How to use it:
- Obtain a raw leaf of Aloe Vera plant
- Peel of the leaf in order to extract a thick gel
- Apply the gel directly on the affected area on the ear
- Let it dry up
- Wash off the gel with clean water and pat to dry
- Repeat the steps until the skin condition disappears completely
This is an example of essential oil that is used as a moisturizer. It helps to prevent skin dryness and scaling along with the ears. It also has the ability to soothe and reduce eczema rash as well as inflammation. It can also be used to treat skin redness on the earlobes and eczema behind ears.
How to use it:
- Wash your ears well and pat them to dry
- Pour some olive oil on the hands
- Massage the ears gently with the oil
- Soak a clean towel in water and wring it
- Place it on the affected area.
- Remove the towel and let the olive oil to stay overnight
- Repeat the procedure until the symptoms disappear
Raw honey helps the skin to retain moisture and prevent skin dryness. It also soothes the skin hence preventing itching sensation.
How to use it:
- Clean the affected area well
- Apply the raw honey on the earlobes, behind ears and inside ears
- Allow it to stay for some minutes
- Wash off the honey with clean warm water
- Pat the area to dry
- Repeat the steps twice per day
According to doctor Blahd on WebMD, warm compress help to help to get rid of the itching effect caused by eczema.
How to use it:
- You can soak a towel or washcloth in warm water and wring it out.
- Place the warm compress over your ear for 10 minutes to treat the affected ear.
It helps to relieve the itching effect caused by eczema. Here are some of the steps to following when using garlic oil to treat ear eczema.
- Crush 2 garlic cloves and wait several minutes to let the allicin form.
- Then cook the crushed garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil for several minutes.
- Strain the oil and let it sit until it is warm and not too hot.
- Lie on your side and using an eyedropper, put two to 4 drops in your ear.
- Let it go to work for about 30 seconds.
- Use the garlic oil 3 to 4 times daily to cure ear eczema
Apply a medicated cream
You can try to use a mild corticosteroid cream on the affected part of the ears. Always keep away from the eyes. You can also use antifungal cream ketoconazole in case corticosteroid cream does not work properly.
- Eczema: https://www.medicinenet.com/eczema_facts/article.htm#eczema_facts
- Eczema Inside Ears of Children: https://www.livestrong.com/article/198864-eczema-inside-ears-of-children/
- ECZEMA (ATOPIC DERMATITIS): https://ulmerderm.com/general-dermatology/eczema/
- Eczema Pictures – Photos and Pictures Of Eczema: http://eczemaliving.com/eczema-pictures/
- What is eczema? https://www.healthline.com/health/eczema
- Seborrheic dermatitis: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seborrheic-dermatitis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20352714