Are there ways on how to get rid of the white tongue? Well, white tongue is a condition that is used to describe an area of the tongue that has a grayish-white coating on it.
The white coat can appear on the entire tongue or in patches on some parts of the tongue.
There are several factors that can lead to the occurrence of the white tongue and each factor is treated by a specific treatment.
However, the condition is said to be harmless and in rare cases, it can be a result of serious health conditions.
In this post, you will discover some of the common causes, treatment and prevention measures to adopt in order to avoid the occurrence of such tongue condition in the future.
Why Do I Have A White Coating On My Tongue?
Generally, the white tongue can be related to poor oral hygiene. This will result in the appearance of white spots on the tongue that will later swell up and become inflamed.
The enlarged papillae can also be clogged with dirt, bacteria, fungi, remains of foods and dead skin cells. The collection may be the reason why you have a white tongue coating.
However, there are other several conditions that can result in the appearance of a white tongue such as excessive consumption of alcohol, smoking, dry mouth, fever, poor brushing, and flossing.
White Stuff on Tongue That Scrapes Off
According to doctors on WebMD, the tongue is covered by tiny white bumps known as papillae. When these bumps become inflamed, they result in the appearance of a white coating on the tongue.
The inflammation of papillae is caused by a buildup of bacteria, debris, fungus, and dead cells.
It is important to note that the white stuff on the tongue is not a form of any illness but it is triggered by dry mouth, dehydration, excessive smoking and alcohol consumption, and poor oral hygiene.
Yeast infection or oral thrush can also be the cause of the formation of a white coating on the tongue. Oral thrush can be more serious when you fall sick.
This is the reason why it is advisable to contact your doctor for diagnosis and treatment immediately.
What Causes White Tongue?
Here are some of the common causes of white coating on the tongue. They include:
This is an oral condition that may result in the occurrence of a white coat or patches on the tongue, gums, inside of the cheeks and lips.
The condition is quite common among people who smoke excessively and chew tobacco.
However, the white patches are considered to be harmless. You should also note that leukoplakia in rare cases can result in oral cancers. Always visit your doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
- Oral lichen planus
This is another oral problem that is linked to an immune system that causes the occurrence of white patches in the mouth and even on the tongue. The condition can also result in sores on gums as well as the roof of the mouth sores.
- Oral thrush
This is a yeast infection in the mouth that is caused by Candida. If you happen to be diabetic or have a weak immune system, the chances of getting oral thrush increases.
This is the reason why patients with HIV/AIDS do get oral thrush more frequently.
It is important also to note that insufficient vitamin B and iron in the diet can also result in the occurrence of oral thrush.
It is therefore advisable to maintain a proper balance diet in order to avoid oral thrush.
This is a type of sexually transmitted disease that is marked by the appearance of white patches on the tongue and even sores on the roof of the mouth.
The type of white patches on the tongue due to syphilis is known as syphilitic leukoplakia.
- White tongue due to dehydration
The medical term that is used to describe dry mouth is known as xerostomia. You are likely to develop white patches on the tongue and inside of cheek due to mild dehydration.
This occurs due to inadequate production of saliva to break up bacteria on the tongue.
- Reactions to certain medications
There are certain medicines that can result in the formation of a white coating on the tongue. Some of the common medications are antibiotics or steroid drugs that can be used to treat asthma or sinusitis.
- Geographic Tongue
This is a condition that results in the appearance of red patches on the tongue with white borders.
The tongue will appear like a map and these patches keep on changing from one day to another. The change is usually due to loss of tiny bumps on the tongue.
You will later experience burning sensation and tongue soreness. Is there a way on how to get rid of the white tongue due to geographical factor? Well, eating foods full of vitamin B and reduction of spicy foods will help to prevent the condition.
- Oral Cancer
This is a rare type of cancer but in case it happens, it can result in the occurrence of reddish patches or whitish patches on the tongue.
Other symptoms of oral cancer are a pain, difficulty in swallowing food, earache, loose teeth, bleeding and lump in the neck.
- Inflammation of the stomach
White coating and thick tongue are usually the early symptoms of the inflammation in the stomach. The medical term for this condition is known as gastritis.
The condition is marked by swollen belly, stomach pains, and nausea. It is important to visit your doctor for treatment.
- Liver issues
According to doctors on WebMD, white or yellow tongue is usually due to liver problem. This may be due to the accumulation of toxic substances in the liver.
You will also experience other symptoms such as neck pain, nausea, and bitter taste in the mouth, cramps and poor circulation of blood.
How to Get Rid Of White Tongue Fast Using Natural Remedies
The color and texture of your tongue can tell more about your health. The changes in the color of the tongue can be just benign or serious medical conditions.
Most of the factors causing the occurrence of the white tongue can be treated at home using natural remedies.
Here are some of the natural remedies used to treat white tongue. They include:
- Use of Salt
This is one of the most effective home remedies that is used to get rid of the white tongue at home.
You can scrape your tongue using the coarse granules of the salt to get rid of bacteria and other toxins that cause white tongue.
You should also note that salt is antiseptic in nature and this is the reason it is advisable to rinse your mouth with salt water regularly. It helps to keep germs causing white tongue at bay.
How to use it:
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 glass of warm water.
- Stir well until the salt dissolves completely in the water.
- Use the solution as a mouth rinse. Gargle and swish it around in your mouth for 1 minute before you spit it out.
- Aloe Vera Juice
It has anti-inflammatory and healing properties that help to treat any condition affecting the tongue. It also has antibacterial properties that help to kill bacteria causing white tongue.
How to use it:
- Take 1 tbsp of aloe Vera juice and put it in your mouth.
- Move it around i.e. swish it in your mouth for a couple of minutes and then spit it out.
- Now drink 1 tbsp of Aloe Vera Juice.
- Follow this procedure 2 to 3 times a day for 2 weeks to remove the white coating on the tongue completely.
This is a natural remedy that helps to treat the white tongue problem. This is because it has the probiotic property that helps to destroy candida fungus that causes the appearance of white coating on the tongue.
How to use it:
- Take around 2 tbsp of yogurt and apply it on your tongue at night before you go to sleep.
- Keep it on for a whole night.
- Follow this process regularly to get rid of white patches on your tongue.
- Baking Soda
It helps to get rid of food remains and other components of the skin that causes white tongue due to its exfoliating property.
It also helps to maintain pH balance in the mouth since it neutralizes acidic conditions.
How to use it:
- Make a paste by mixing 1 tsp of baking soda with 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Now take a toothbrush and brush your tongue with this paste.
- Next, wash your mouth with water.
- Do this activity once a day to remove white spots on tongue completely.
This is one of the common home remedies that is used to get rid of white patches on the tongue. It also has powerful antibacterial properties that help to get rid of bacterial causing the tongue problem.
How to use it:
- Create a paste by mixing ½ tsp of turmeric powder with 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Rub this paste on your coated tongue for around 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now rinse thoroughly by making use of warm water.
- Repeat this activity daily till your tongue get its natural pink color back.
- Tea Tree Oil
It has antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that help to get rid of oral thrush on the tongue causing the whitish coating.
How to use it:
- Mix 1 tsp of tea tree oil in a glass filled with lukewarm water.
- Use this solution as a mouthwash by moving it around your mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and then spit it out.
- Do this activity 2 to 3 times a day to remove white patches on tongue.
- Hydrogen Peroxide
It is considered to be the most effective way of treating white tongue. This is because it has antibacterial properties that help to get rid of bacteria that get collected on the surface of your tongue.
How to use it:
- Mix ¼ tsp of hydrogen peroxide in a glass of water.
- Take a soft toothbrush and dip it into the mixture.
- Now scrape your tongue gently by using this toothbrush.
- Spit out the mixture and wash your mouth properly with water.
- Repeat this process once a day for 3 to 4 days to get complete relief from white tongue issue.
- Colloidal Silver
It helps to get rid of white spots on the tongue due to overgrowth of fungi known as candida.
The substance has a natural antibiotic, antimicrobial and antifungal properties. It can also be used to get rid of the white tongue bad breath.
How to use it:
- Dilute 3 to 4 tbsp of colloidal silver in ¼ cup of water.
- Put this solution in your mouth and swish it around for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now spit out the solution and rinse your mouth by making use of warm water.
- Follow this procedure 2 to 3 times a day to remove the white coating on the tongue.
- Vegetable Glycerin
Wondering how to get rid of white tongue fast? Well, vegetable glycerin is the best remedy to use since it is safe. It also has the ability to combat bad breath in the mouth.
How to use it:
- Place the vegetable glycerin on the white tongue for about 5 minutes.
- Gently brush your tongue with a toothbrush.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water nicely. Repeat twice a day until the white color vanishes completely.
How to Prevent White Tongue
Do the above ways on how to get rid of the white tongue a permanent solution? Well, some home remedies may offer a permanent solution but some may not.
This is the reason why it is important to follow the steps below in order to prevent future occurrence of the white tongue.
These measures include:
- Maintain proper oral hygiene
- Brush after meals
- Use antiseptic mouthwashes
- Avoid sugary foods and dairy products
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol
- Eat fiber-rich foods
- Keep hydrating your body
- A White Tongue: Causes and Solutions: https://steptohealth.com/white-tongue-causes-solutions/
- Why Is My Tongue White? https://www.curejoy.com/content/why-is-my-tongue-white/
- What Causes a White Tongue and How to Treat It: https://www.healthline.com/health/dental-and-oral-health/white-tongue
- What causes a white tongue? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319814.php
- White Coating on Tongue: How to Reduce It: https://www.doctorshealthpress.com/general-health-articles/white-coating-on-tongue/